I was cleaning up after an event. A little girl comes up to me, points to a bag of candy and says, “Excuse me, can I have a piece of candy, please?” I said, “Because you were polite, said “excuse me”, and “please”, you can have two pieces of candy. Remember, you’ll always get more by being polite.” She says, “Thank you”, takes two pieces of candy, and skips along.
That, my friends, is what etiquette is all about. Etiquette is not a list of stuffy ceremonial do’s and don’ts. It’s not something only practiced when in public. Etiquette is “the fruit of manners and it deals directly with kindness, consideration, elegance, style and decorum” – Robin Bickerstaff Glover. Let’s display and share good etiquette everyday. When etiquette is practiced everyday, it becomes a natural part of our lives (i.e. common sense), and everyone benefits! Do you have an etiquette inspired story that taught an unforgettable lesson?
Quotes To Remember What Etiquette Is Really About
- Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use – Emily Post
- Etiquette means behaving yourself a little better than is absolutely essential. – Will Cuppy
- Good manners are just a way of showing other people that we have respect for them. – Bill Kelly
- Good manners will open doors that the best education cannot. – Clarence Thomas
- Outcomes rarely turn on grand gestures or the art of the deal, but on whether you’ve sent someone a thank-you note. Bernie Brillstein, The Little Stuff Matters Most
- Politeness and consideration for others is like investing pennies and getting dollars back. –Thomas Sowell